Thursday, March 12, 2009

Selfish Me, Selfish Me

Why am I selfish you ask? A while back Eden started getting really red cheeks that became rashes and bumps on her face and neck. A doctor told us that he thought she was allergic to wheat and perhaps a little allergic to dairy. Wheat was hard for Eden to give up because she loves bread and there are so many little treats for kids that contain wheat (Cheerios, crackers, etc.). But I couldn't get myself to take her off of dairy because that would mean, since I'm breastfeeding, that I would need to go off of dairy. Plus, the doctor did say she was only "a little allergic to dairy". Selfish me, selfish me.

Taking her off wheat helped...but her cheeks were still red and then continued to get worse. The doctor once again re-affirmed that perhaps we should get her off dairy. Finally, I decided to repent of my sins and go off of dairy....now I'm sad.

I am grateful that Eden's rashes have been lessening. But every time I look in the freezer and see the half gallon of ice cream or want to eat a cookies with milk chocolate chips or have some pasta with white sauce instead of red....sadness. I think my want for dairy has increased simply because I can't have it. Like the saying, "You always want what you can't have." So instead of giving in to my undying craving for something with a wonderful milky substance I am blogging about my woes.

The End

*Note: This blog is a dramatization of how I feel MOST days...today is simply a "I WANT DAIRY!" type day.

7 comments:

The Keele's said...

LoL Awe you're a good mom!!! I think I would have seriously died LoL I would have said- OH well formula here we come! But fear not! It won't be forever! One day you'll be able to enjoy that gallon of ice cream!

Lynsie said...

I don't know how you do it my friend! I love dairy! Love it love it love it! I say when you are done breastfeeding, you need to come back to Utah and we should have a girls night out at Leatherby's. Sound like a plan?

Sharlee said...

I know how you feel! Weston had gas really bad when he was little so I tried not eating all the typical things...and FINALLY I restricted my dairy intake- I think I did it for about three days and then I gave in and ate a bunch of cheese... I can't live without cheese! Luckily, that was not the cause of his problems. It's a good thing Eden is so cute! She's worth a little diet. :)

Rachel said...

Yeah, the doctor me I could go off dairy and his collic (he wasn't that collicy, really) would go down, but I could never do it!!! I'm impressed. I'm apparently more selfish than you, because I could never quite give it up.

Steve said...

Ummm...can I say that I totally understand, considering I went off ALL dairy for 7 months with Nathan and 2 months with Abi (by all dairy, I mean even trace amounts). YOU CAN DO IT! BE STRONG! Love, Melissa

Valeri Crockett said...

I'm here for you, it's rough not having dairy! Your aloud to vent. . . how else will you get through it?

Barb Elder said...

Good mom! You are so not selfish. You still choose to breast feed. That is so no selfish. The best thing you can do for her. Good mom!