Friday, March 6, 2009

Flashback Friday: The Sailor

I have a relative named Seiji on my dad's side of the family. I've only met him once, but he's an incredible guy. He came to my sister's wedding reception and at the time I was really starting to be interested in family history. My dad said, "You're in luck, the person you would want to talk to is Seiji." Seiji and I talked for hours. He told me stories and stories about my ancestors....and I unfortunately don't remember a lot of them because I didn't have a lot to write with and it was all so overwhelming at the time. But I'm gonna tell you my favorite Seiji story...

The Sailor (a short and MAYBE true story)

Apparently a long time ago while a few of my ancestors were sailing across the ocean...one lovely young lady had met an American sailor. So it would seem...they had a sailboat fling. I don't know the details or what happened on that boat during the journey. But oddly enough, in our family line there are some "whiter" qualities to us. But the question...IS there a small piece of whiteness in our DNA? I may never know.

BUT...most people who know Asians well think I am HALF Asian or at least not FULL Asian. We've always attributed that to our very American/Utahn way of living...I don't know Japanese, I really don't know much about the culture, I've never even BEEN to Japan for heavens sake! But perhaps there is more than meets the eye...

ALSO...coincidence or not...Popeye was a sailor...and Olive Oyl has black hair like an Asian. I may be RELATED to Olive Oye! OK...OK....I'm stretching this a LITTLE far. Don't you think? In all honesty, this story is probably a myth and even if this happened...this likely isn't a relative in MY family line but rather a distant second cousin twice removed or something like that. But I loved to hear that story. It was a (short) story of mystery, adventure, and love.

2 comments:

Annegirl said...

Strangers meeting in the water and falling in love??

Uh... I think it sounds like your family. :)

Ben, Alyssa, and Ting-Ting Green said...

Hey there sis!

I loved the story. To think, Ben and I could be related. Hahaha. About that bathing picture, I wanted to remind you of a certain (cough) Lucero. You better be careful she could take after her mother. lol. Anyway, you know I love you. Oh yeah, I also wanted to remind you to link to our adoption blog. It is greenadoption.blogspot.com. In case you freegot.