Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Celebration...

Tyson and I decided to have a Cinco de Mayo party today.

(OK, I admit that it was my idea at about 9:30 last night to make a little "fiesta" and then we invited a few friends over to share the excitment.)

I searched for "Mexican" type dishes: Mexican pizza, 7 Layer dip, and Tres Leche. (None of which were "authentic" by any means.)

But during the tres leche a question came up..."What is Cinco de Mayo celebrating?" We looked it up online.

The Story of Cinco de Mayo
(according to Wikipedia)

So, it appears that Cinco de Mayo was started when Mexico was in debt to France. Mexico decided that they didn't want to pay these dues...and France got mad. So, France invaded. And Mexico won the battle. That's how it all came about, all because Mexico didn't want to pay their debts.

Umm...and within the year France invaded again and won.

The End

p.s. I also had a doctor's appiontment today and everything is still going as planned. Six weeks left....

4 comments:

Neff Family said...

Haha, that's hilarious! We had a fabulous Cinco De Mayo, going to an endowment and sealing for two of the most amazing people in our ward! No dip, but lots of Spirit =) Glad you had fun. (I personally despise Tres Leches, but my husband LOVES it! Did yours turn out?)

The Finlinsons said...

The tres leche actually turned out really good. Although, I admit that all that milk/dairy didn't totally agree with my stomach...

Rachel said...

Happy Cinco De Mayo! We didn't really celebrate it, but we should have to celebrate David's heritage!

I'm sorry the tres leche didn't agree with your stomach. I can't imagine the 7 layer dip helping it either...:) But I'm sure it was worth the pain!

Macie said...

Yum. That sounds good. I love your mom's 7 layer dip. I thought about celebrating but didn't actually do it. We did have bean & cheese burritos for lunch the next day!