But first...a question:
I've recently heard, "a rule of thumb is that the second labor is half the time of the first (but of course there are exceptions to every rule)."
Does this theory seem to have some truth to it? What is your experience?
And now a flashback to May 12th, 2008 (day Eden was born)
*Fading to a blur as we travel through time*I woke up a few times during the night thinking, "Oh, I'm having a contraction". And seeing how sleep is so important to me, I just went back to sleep.
7:30 a.m. rolls around and I have another contraction and decide to wake my sleeping husband
Me: "Honey, I think I'm having contractions."
Husband: (much more concerned than I was) "When did they start?"
Me: "I don't know, sometime in the middle of the night. I woke up a few times and just went back to sleep."
Husband: "How often do you have them?"
Me: "Umm..I don't know, I haven't been keeping track."
Husband: "Ugh! Start keeping track."
Husband: (much more concerned than I was) "When did they start?"
Me: "I don't know, sometime in the middle of the night. I woke up a few times and just went back to sleep."
Husband: "How often do you have them?"
Me: "Umm..I don't know, I haven't been keeping track."
Husband: "Ugh! Start keeping track."
After realizing how regularly they are occurring, we decided to wait until 8:00 when our OB's office opened to call and see if I could just slide in there and they could check if I was really in labor...cause we didn't want to go to the hospital to just be sent home.
8:00 Call Dr's office.
8:15 Go to Dr's office.
8:45 Sure enough, I'm in labor and we go to the hospital.
8:15 Go to Dr's office.
8:45 Sure enough, I'm in labor and we go to the hospital.
After a while of being in the hospital they decided to put me on pitocin and ask if I wanted an epidural. Learning that pitocin often makes the contractions harder and more frequent I decided to go ahead and get an epidural.
After getting an epidural...
Tyson: (looking at monitor next to me) "Oh, you just had a contraction."
Me: "I did?! I LOVE the epidural!"
Me: "I did?! I LOVE the epidural!"
*Take a nap, watch some tv, play some games to pass the time*
7:00ish p.m. Time to start pushing
Two pushes later...
Nurse: "You're crowning! This never happens! Let me get the doctor."
A minute later, nurse returns...
Nurse: "Your doctor is actually delivering another girl right now. So, whatever you do or how much you want to, DON'T PUSH."
Me: "OK."
Me: "OK."
7:45 Doctor comes in apologizing.
Two pushes later a baby is born.





6 comments:
Wow. Wow. Pretty easy labor with Eden, eh? I hope it's easy this time around, too.
My first was about 14 hours. My second, only 4. I think it does go faster!!
Let the Lion King be your guide, and "BE PREPAAAAAARED". I'm pathetic, I know.
GOOOOD LUCK! So soon. Are you super excited?
You totally freaked me out for like three seconds. I thought that was a picture of the "new" baby.
Wow, Bethany, you've made me feel so much better about labor. I've been reading a lot of painful stories that scared the heck of me. Now at least I know an easy labor is possible :-)
I think labor was easy for you because you have a pretty good "take it as it comes" attitude.
Also an epidurals are awesome.
And yes, move to Oregon. That sounds like a great plan to me. I've been looking for matching bungalows for us.
The second was SOOO much easier, although I probably would have never actually started labor without pitocin. I only had to push 4 times. I really thought they were joking when they handed Abi to me. But, if you want to hear about easy labor, check out Blake and Amy Voorhees' blog. She went into the doctor dialated to an 8 with just some minor cramping! If only...
Just a quick thought from me... Dante's labor and delivery were MUCH better than Makenzi's! Kenzi's may have been a shorter labor, but still horrible with back labor, and the delivery was SO painful!! :S ... BUT That's without an epidural with both, so "if you get the drugs, you'll be fine!" ;) lol. good luck honey!!
Post a Comment