Lately I've had several people talking about and asking about potty training. The kids are the same age as Eden and are going through the potty training process.
Me? I've been avoiding it. Quite frankly, I'm OK with changing diapers and Eden doesn't really mind it either.
So, when should I potty train?
I always figured that I'd just be able to tell by the way she acted. But I do think she has the mental and verbal capacity to be potty trained (with the LARGE exception that she's having a hard time wanting to grow up and wants to be called and treated like a "baby" and not a "big girl"). The question is...PHYSICAL capacity?
Here's my physical obstacles that come to mind when I think of potty training...
- Eden still sleeps in a pack n play at night...although she naps in a bed.
- Even with all the naps in her bed...she still hasn't realized AFTER napping she can get out of her bed....she just sits there and yells for me to come get her when she's awake and then gets out of bed once I'm there.
- She sleeps with the door closed and can't open it by herself.
- She's not a very good climber/step-taker. I don't really want to use a little potty on the ground that needs to be washed every time we use it.
And I wouldn't be in a rush except I'm afraid that after I have the new baby it will be hard to follow this method and give the potty training the full attention needed (like the yelling "I need help going to the bathroom" cries while in the middle of feedings and diaper changes with baby)
Alright, as for reader advice....3 questions:
- Would Eden not have an interest and motivation considering that she doesn't want to be a "big girl"? Should I wait until she mentally wants to "grow up" a big?
- Should I first work on getting her in her toddler bed, climbing on a stool, and leaving the door open for her at night?
- Should I just patiently wait until acts more "ready" (even though I think she could be ready now) or will it be extra hard to potty train and take care of a newborn at the same time?





11 comments:
Potty training is the poops! I waited until they were curious about going potty. It was so much easier, because they wanted to do it, not mommy forcing them to do it. And I think you have a valid point about waiting, since Eden can't quite get out of bed on her own (which is totally normal, btw). Although, you can always do pull-ups (we still do them with Kembry at night.) I would wait until she wants to. You can always ask her, or sit her on the toilet and ask her if she likes it. You never know, she may get real excited about it! Good luck!
Lucy and Eden are similar in that they were both smart and verbally advanced. I too thought that Lucy was smart enough to just figure it out. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. It takes a lot of coordination and bodily control. And if Eden can't even get to the potty there's no point in potty training yet. Look for signs like (1) can she go all night without wetting her diaper (2) will she tell you after she goes (3) can you tell before she goes based on body language that she needs to go.
Once she does all that and can get around by herself better then I'd do potty training. Until then have her follow you to the bathroom and watch. Sounds weird, but it gets kids excited and curious.
Good Luck. I wanted Lucy potty trained before Link came and she wasn't until 6 months after. But it worked out ok. If you wait until they're ready I think you'll have l fewer "accidents" and far less frustration.
I think 2 1/2 to 3 yrs. is a good time. To me the most important is that they stay dry at night. Kaleb was dry at night for a month, then we potty trained him and it was the easiest couple of days and we never had to use one pull-up and only a couple of accidents.
I would wait until she shows interest in using the potty. Obviously I've never potty trained anyone but in talking to other knowledgable moms they said that potty training didn't work until the child showed interest in it.
She's not quite 2, right? That's still pretty young (not that I have personal experience, since Lily's only 6 months). My sister Rachel potty-trained when she was like 2 and my mom still talks about how early it was. All 6 of her other kids were 3 years old. My brother just potty trained his boy, and he had just turned two. They had a baby on the way, so similar reasons for doing it as you. From what I understand, he is now potty trained, but it was very difficult. Lots of tears, Lots of accidents, and LOTS of laundry. But I know other people have easier success. I'm sure whatever you decide will be fine.
My advice: WAIT!!! BOTH you AND your child need to be ready for potty training. If you don't feel ready, then wait. And HELLO? You're having a baby in 10 weeks.
Of course, I was looking for any excuse I could find to put off potty training with Nate, but pregnancy is a very good excuse. Wait until after the baby comes and you feel like you have your life is manageable with the new baby before you throw potty training in the mix.
Potty training is marvelous and I love love love love love that Nate is now potty training. But I'm really glad I waited until we were both ready. It went pretty smoothly when I did and I think a lot of that contributed to the fact that he was a bit older (a week before his 3rd birthday) and truly ready, instead of me pushing him to do something he wasn't really ready for.
Just because other people are potty training their children similar ages, don't feel pressured into doing it.
And that being said, just because I'm saying "wait," don't feel pressured into waiting just because people are telling you to.
Do what you feel is best for you and your child. You're a great mom!
2 cents 4 U! Daaelynn didn't potty train till she was 3 and it was the smoothest transition! We bought a little potty for her when she was 2 and it basically hung out in the bathroom for a year as a "chair" lol I had some family members doing the whole " So when are you going to potty train?" The answer is "When she's ready :)" I knew if I pushed her it would just leave us both frustrated and mad. And as a side note- you don't want her to regress when baby comes. I've heard if you push a kid into potty training, giving up a binky or bottle. ect. right before a new baby comes the older one might regress because they weren't 100% ready and now that baby is getting attention- it's just back to square 1! So do whatever YOU feel is right for Eden AND you. Don't worry and just go with the flow because she won't be in diapers forever :) Good luck and go with your mommy instincts!!! :D
gosh that's a hard one. I read your friend rachel's comment and agree!:) This was actually the topic of conversation at our ward play group. there were many mothers there that had several children trained and I swear they all said what your friend rachel said. good luck. who knows when pierce will?? haha I have a feeling not for a while.
You can introduce the idea of using a potty without "potty training". I got a potty and let kaci play with it so when it came time to potty train, she wasn't afraid of it and liked sitting on it. I let her carry it around the house, use it as a stool (practice!!) and then a month or two before I actually committed to training her, I only let her play with it in the bathroom, then I'd read to her while she sat on it, then I took of the diaper and only read to her while she was sitting on it (at regular intervals) for 3 days. And BOOM! She's been trained for almost a year now. That's what I did.
This way, you can say you've "started the process" and feel like you've giving her the opportunity to potty train but you don't have to buckle down and do it yet. This stage can last up to 6 months! Getting a lil one used to the potty (a lot of kids are afraid of it) is so easy and most people say this is a super important step. In time, she may just want to on her own if she is exposed to the idea of it.
I loved potty training Elsie, we bonded and I know that sounds wierd. But, with her success we had more fun toghether and got closer to each other. Elsie was only 19 months old when I potty trained her and it took 4 days and I love having a baby who I don't have to change diapers for or pay for diapers. However, Colton is now 24 months old and no where ready to potty train. You need to be able to communicate with Eden, and you need to be in a spot in your life where you can be consistant and don't try potty training with another baby coming. It might start some "mommy likes the new baby more than me" issues. Unless you and her are ready. But, I don't think it will hurt to wait until right before preschool.
I haven't had any children come to that point...obviously, but i've heard that the best time to start is when the child wants to do it. And most kids seem to be around 2 1/2-3 years old.
Again, I don't have any personal mommy experience in this.
Post a Comment