Strange how we spent a LONG weekend in Utah with family during Thanksgiving and the only pictures we got of Eden and Leila during our entire trip were these....
(p.s. the "teeth" in the first picture are mushroom stems)
But you know, at least you know we had a good time.
Actually, it was a really great time. We spent the first few days with Tyson's family where we played, relaxed, and watched the new Muppet movie.
...um....HIGHLY recommend the Muppet Movie. Totally rocked.
Seriously.
Thanksgiving day we went up to my parent's house and spend a few days with them. We played, relaxed, ate lots of delicious food, and shopped until we dropped (quite literally).
I'm thankful for so many things. I have a wonderful husband and children. I am so thankful that I can stay at home with them and be the mom I've always wanted to be. I'm thankful for family AND in-laws that I get along with so well that we LOVE holidays where we can get together...and even when it ISN'T a holiday they will still get together whenever possible. I'm thankful for being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It gives me a foundation in life that truly guides me to what is right and true and guides me towards the ultimate goal of perfection.
Tyson and I went Black Friday shopping for the first time ever.
This is us FREEZING in the line at Target.
A bunch of my family prepared for the event by going several hours early, standing by the items we sought out to get first dibs.
Then we waited....
More and more people started to pile in....
We waited longer....
People started to get antsy and pushy and aggravated.
We waited some more....
The start of the "dark and dreary night" was to begin at 10:00...but Walmart had it in good faith that if they opened the plastic wrap around the sale items at 9:30 that people would graciously wait until 10:00 with a few Wally World workers there to say "Oh, please don't take that yet."
That didn't take.
I was feeling a little claustrophobic and then 9:30 rolled around.
My claustrophobia turned into.....I'm not even sure the word. But it wasn't a positive feeling.
I was around some nice and well behaved ladies who graciously stood waiting for the clock to chime 10:00.
Then another lady ran us over.
(Lady grabs item we are wanting)
Well Behaved Lady: "Oh, you're not supposed to get things until 10:00."
(glares at us)
Poorly Behaved Lady: "I'll take my chances."
(Runs off with item)
That's when a part of me filled with sadness.
Then craziness ensued.
People grabbed things left and right, ran around like wild animals in search for the last sip of water in a dried up lake, and I sat thinking, "I don't want to grab something that I know I'm not supposed to grab. I mean, rules are rules."
Eventually it got the best of me and I gave in. My family had grabbed their items and I just gave in and grabbed my items (items, by the way, I ended up returning to the store because we decided we didn't want them).
I admit my sins. I took the items before 10:00.
We left Walmart, the place of disgrace and sin, and I was ready to call it a night.
Tyson: "Okay, let's go to Target!"
Me: "You want to go to Target?"
I knew that if I didn't go to Target I would miss out on the opportunity to give Eden an gift I KNEW she'd love. So, I went with Tyson.
We shivered in the cold as we waited in line outside for the clock to strike 12:00.
Everyone around seemed very nice and friendly.
Nobody seemed overly pushy or mean.
Target seemed very under control, police were on stand by, and things were organized.
Some faith was restored. I may never shop with Walmart loonies again, stick with the Target peeps, they have some dignity and goodness.
Then the line wrapped around and people started to worry that once midnight came the people wrapped around would jump "cut in line" and people would turn into raging crazies.
I spend the rest of the hour praying "PLEASE DON'T LET ALL PEOPLE BE BAD!"
My prayers were answered. Nobody cut in line when it was time to go in.
Tyson and I quickly and easily got what we wanted and stood in line to the check out.
I've never seen so many HUGE tv's in a check out line before. (p.s. that's NOT what we got Eden).
Anyhow, that was a long story about how a piece of my heart has been shattered as I realized first hand how many people are willing to lessen themselves just to save $20. Heck, even $200....is it worth your dignity as a human being!!!???
Okay, I really don't think black Friday is all that bad. I don't even feel horrible about taking items before 10:00. But I was sad to see the people out there who didn't seem to care what the workers at Walmart were trying to do, the people who had been waiting for ages to "play fair", and anything other than "getting a good deal".
Alright, off my soap box.
On another note, I actually did get another picture of Eden while on break. Well, actually Aunt Kylie took this picture of Eden and Eva on Santa's lap and sent it to me. Good thing SOMEONE knows how to use a camera. Cause I'm starting to wonder if I know how. Even those pictures above were taken on Tyson's cell phone. I'm so lame.
Santa: "What do you want for Christmas this year?"
Eden: "Toys."
Well, at least she's making it easy for us this year.
All in all, it was a wonderful time in Utah (with the exception of the Walmart incident....)
Thanks to the few (if any) of you who actually read through this entire blog post.
Happy holidays!





1 comment:
Walmart is like a different country with its own culture. What kills me is that even some Walmarts are worse than others. We live by a ghetto Walmart. Sometimes we drive 20 min to go to a nicer, more organized, and competent one with WAY shorter/faster lines. Once after shopping exclusively at Walmart for a few grocery trips we needed something at Target. I believe Dan's exact words as we sped through the line without waiting were, "It's so nice to not be at Walmart!" This is all to say, we're Target peeps, too. The only Black Friday shopping we braved was at night. It was crowded but at least people were human. If mass consumerism in general can be considered human and uplifting. Way to be a hero mom and brave it for Eden! I'm sure her face on Christmas will be worth it. Sorry I just wrote my own blog in your comments section. :)
Post a Comment