Thursday, October 2, 2014

One Thing I Love About Homeschooling

I've discovered something I love about homeschooling.

Those "change of plans" days where my regular day turns out to be a super-rainy-so-we-go-out-and-spend-hours-exploring-worms(-and-splashing-in-puddles) day.  

After all, today was a science day...and we are learning about invertebrates.
My girls are into worms ever since the rainy season has hit.
It's a no brainer.  Worms it is.

In those few hours, we observed worms size and how they move, collected over a dozen worms and made our own worm farm so we can see how they dig tunnels underground, read a book on worms, and researched if worms drown and why they come out when it rains.

Not to mention that they also were able to get super dirty and wet...and were able to take a much needed bath after.

We discovered that worms can live under water for hours if not days without drowning, theories are that worms come out because it is their only safe time to travel out of ground, they dig tunnels by eating dirt and pooping it out the end, and that Leila is the queen of worm collecting...especially the tiny ones that other's fat little fingers can't grab.

Here are a few pictures...and don't judge my kids' lack of apparel... 



We took breaks in between our worm exploration to do a few other things like take a bath, eat food, do other necessary school work, clean up, and we also have some friends over to video tape the girls for a campaign going on for the new Mormon movie.  (If I can figure out how to explain it all and put things up on my blog then I can show you what I'm talking about.  Right now I'm working on the basics of what is going on....like learning what a "hashtag" is and "trending" in the internet world.)

No comments: