Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Simple Life

Why do we, as human beings, make things more complicated than they need to be?

I don't think we realize how wonderful the simple life is....and/or don't actually believe it can be done.

Tyson and I decided that we wanted to go visit our friends back in Grand Junction (oh how we love thee Grand Junction)...so he set up a rotation for 4 weeks.

We only packed what we could fit within our 2 cars (which of course is also limited by the fact that my sister drove with me and I had three car seats in the back of my Corolla).  So, pretty much we had what we could fit in Tyson's car, the trunk of my car and at the foot of the girl's seats.

Our bundle looked somewhat like this:

2 Air Mattresses
2 Sleeping Bags for the kids
Blankets
Pillows
5 Towels
1 Box of kitchen items (pots, pans, utensils, etc)
1 Box of cleaning supplies
1 Box of baby needs (diapers, wipes, burp cloths, blankets, etc)
1 Box bathroom needs
3 Suitcases of clothes
2 Suitcases of kid's toys
1 Chair
Food items
1 kid's tent (which took up less room than any of the above items)

That was it more or less.

Our previous landlord let us camp out in our old complex for a month (paying rent of course) and we set up camp.  And I admit, its been AWESOME.  Tyson and I may never want "stuff" again.  Seriously.  We're going to do some serious minimizing.  In later posts when I show new places that we live...if we haven't seriously downsized, then comment a little reminder that "simplicity is bliss".

So, here is what our place looks like...

Kid's bedroom
 Kitchen
(We borrowed a pack n play NOT for sleeping but for Molly's protection from Eden and Leila's "love" while I'm cooking and doing other things around the house and need to put Molly down)
 Family Room
(We borrowed a swing for Molly and a Korean table for eating...we eat on the floor, its rather awesome.  And Eden and Leila are in their ballet suits they got for Christmas...they wear at least once during the day almost always)
 Bathroom
(At least part of it.  This is what it looks like currently because we're potty training Leila and don't have a washer and dryer...hand washing undies!)
 Tyson and my bedroom
(our air mattress got a hole, so it wasn't patched up, it was under repair at the time)

It seems crazy...but its been a wonderful blessing. There is never a LARGE amount of clean up to be done.  We go to the library for all of our books and story time.  We go out and play with our friends.  Go to the park (cause the weather here is GREAT).  I've simplified my meals and meal planning for a small kitchen with limited kitchen supplies and easy clean up (we have no dishwasher).  We limit our laundry as much as possible.  And we try to not rush so the WHOLE FAMILY can enjoy our experience.

I still do "home school preschool" with Eden.  Leila's been doing potty training and doing really well (although those dirty undies on our shower curtain seem to tell a different tale....).  Molly smiles and LOVES to baby talk to anyone willing to listen.  She and Eden get along well...cause Eden will talk and talk and talk to her.  Tyson's working with a cardiologist here and while doesn't LOVE it, he's content and the hours are pretty good (with the exception that the doctor he is with doesn't like eating lunch...and therefore starving Tyson some days).

Its been an adventure and we love it.

1 comment:

Anaise said...

This post is perfectly timed. I need to clear out our house, and I needed this encouragement!! Thanks!!!!!!