Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween

Halloween was lots of fun. It is WAY more fun with kids than without them. Eden's school group had a little Halloween party where they painted pumpkins, read Halloween books, practiced trick or treating, decorated sugar cookies, and ate mummy dogs and other deliciousness.

We also had a ward "fall festival" party with a costume contest, chili cook-off, trunk-or-treat, and.....*drum roll* pie cooking contest.

The drum roll is because Tyson signed me up for this pie contest and I've NEVER made a pie in my life. NEVER. Like....EVER. p.s. I don't even LIKE pie much. This was obviously for Tyson's benefit for me to learn to make pie.

I sweat.

I toiled.

I feared.

I made pie....three of them.

Practice pie #1: Basic apple pie. It turned alright.

Practice pie #2: Caramel apple pie. It turned out alright.

For the REAL pie, I chose to do the caramel apple pie because it was a little different than just your normal apple pie. And I was told this pie had RAVE reviews from everyone and their dog. Not MY pie, but when others have made this pie it was a success.

In the end, I didn't win.

Technically, I don't think I was part of the contest. I found out (after it was too late) that I was supposed to NUMBER my pie if it was to be judged. All that sweating and toiling. Ugh.

Tyson may have enjoyed having pie...after pie....after pie. But in the end, he may suffer from lack of pie. Because now even the THOUGHT of pie puts me in a state of panic and I may not eat another pie for as long as I live.

Now on to the cute pictures of my children during the Halloween season...

Leila with a full set of teeth.
She has been growing teeth like a wild-woman..but luckily they don't look like those.

Leila and Eden in the costume contest. Leila an indian and Eden a purple fairy. I wish the pictures were better, but they aren't. I tried to take other pictures of their costumes later and it ended up in complete meltdown...I decided it wasn't worth it.

Someone came up to me after the results and said that they were disappointed that Leila didn't win in the young kids category for cutest because they thought she made the cutest Indian ever and should have won over Frankenstein.

Eden's "loot" that she LOVES. Up until the day Eden GOT the candy she would say, "I can only eat ONE a day or else I'll get sick." Now that she has the candy, she always finds herself saying, "OK, just ONE more."
My Halloween dinner. Stuffed peppers....er....jack-o-lanterns.

In the end, Halloween was a success! The kids loved it and I don't have to make another pie for the rest of my life.

7 comments:

Macie said...

That's a fun idea with the peppers! I'm glad the fairy costume worked out. I love Leila's costume!

Rachel said...

Those peppers look awesome! That's way cooler than my pizza.
And I agree, Halloween is way better with kids! Kids make everything (except maybe traveling) more fun and magic.
Love you!

April said...

Those stuffed peppers are so cute!

April said...

Oh and PS - I love pie, could you make one for me??! JK!

Anonymous said...

Who cares if you aren't a pie goddess. You are so creative! Those stuffed peppers look AMAZING! You are an AWESOME mother!

The Reynolds said...

How did Frankenstein win over and Indian? You expect Frankenstein but and Indian is more original. I would vote for Leila. I'm sure your pie was amazing and those peppers look great. I may have to try that next year.

Emily said...

stuffed peppers... so cute and fun!! definitely need to remember that one.